News & Events
TOEFL – Reading
- October 12, 2017
- Posted by: younglogix
- Category: Exams
The TOEFL Internet Based Test measures the student’s ability to understand English and how well he/she can integrate the skill of Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing.
Though the TOEFL Reading module appears to be the simplest of all the modules, a student often fails to score high if a proper strategy is not followed. At the outset, it might appear that TOEFL Reading is nothing but answering a few questions from a given passage which appears on the screen.
But the level of difficulty lies in:
- Excessively lengthy passages
- Limited time as contrast to the length of the passage.
- Answering the detailed questions.
The duration for TOEFL Reading Module is 60 to 80 minutes and consists of 3 to 4 passages. The word length of each passage may go up to 700 words. Each passage will have 12 to 14 questions and the total number of questions might be 36- 56.
- Allot 20 minutes time for each passage.
- Remember we are not reading an article but are reading to memorize the points which will help us to indentify the answer for questions that are asked at the end of the passage.
- SKIM and Scan: Scan the 1st sentence of each paragraph in the passage to get the main point discussed in each paragraph. Skim the rest of the paragraph and underline significant words. This might take 1 to 2 minutes.
- Timing: Divide the remaining 18 minutes among the 14 questions. Allot 6 minutes to answer 1 – 5 questions, next 6 minutes to answer 6 to 10 questions and finally the remaining 6 minutes to answer the last 4 questions. Usually the last 4 questions are detailed questions, which start with “According to the passage….. Why….”, “ According to the paragraph, which of the following…….. “ . Out of 14 questions 4 to 5 questions fall in this category.
- Keyword Technique: Identify the keyword or the most significant word in each question. Start reading the passage quickly in search of the keyword. The sentence where you find the keyword usually has the answer for your question. In case it does not contain the answer read further. Look at the answer choices and select the one that matches the best.
- Know the position of the answers. The answer for question 1 will in paragraph1 and the answer for question 2 will be paragraph 2 and so on. This pattern is usually followed though not always.
- Learn lot of Academic oriented words which will help you in answering vocabulary questions i.e identifying the synonym in the passage for a word given in the question.
- Know the types of the questions that TOEFL Reading passages contain. (Refer to TOEFL official website ets.org)
HAPPY READING AND GREAT SCORING